Developer interns work on a variety of programming projects directly supporting our core products. You will work within development team and will be involved in all stages of the software development lifecycle, including requirements gathering, implementation, review, documentation and testing. Projects in the past have included prototyping new features, creating sample applications using our powerful APIs and writing automated test suites. Interns have also worked on supporting our development infrastructure by improving both in-house and Open Source applications through feature development and defect fixing. Typically this involves coding in Java, though we also make use of C#, Python and Scala, and always seek to use the best tools for the job. Our product suite incorporates web applications, desktop applications, APIs and server side components, so the work can encompass a broad range of key technologies.
What you can achieve here:
- Gain experience of producing robust code that meets the highest industry standards.
- Benefit from pair-programming with experienced developers to supply on the job training.
- Learn how agile software development methodologies work in practice.
- Achieve familiarity with the tools supporting professional software development, including version control, continuous integration, automated testing and issue tracking.
- Develop your communication skills by discussing and documenting highly technical information.
Most of our interns have completed two or more years of studying computer science at university. We welcome applications from those studying other subjects if they can demonstrate a passion and aptitude for programming. This could be demonstrated by projects completed as part of study, professional work or as hobbies. In all cases we are looking for an excellent academic background - As/A*s at A level, including maths, and on course for a 2:1 or 1st from a top university.
Please note, we only accept applicants who are in the penultimate or final year of their degree.
- Good knowledge of Java, C# or another OO language
- Good experience with Linux or UNIX systems including shell scripting
- Excellent problem solving ability
- Attention to detail and a commitment to high quality work
- Communication skills and adaptability to thrive in team environment
- Confidence and initiative to work effectively independently as well
As an intern, you'll be immersed into our culture and treated as an equal. You will be working with pioneers in our market space, benefit from our ample food and drink stash, and be invited to join us at our regular company pizza meetings and summer party. Several past interns have also become full-time employees after graduation, so if you like us you might very well be asked to return permanently!
Salary and Internship Length
We offer competitive rates for internships based on your level of experience. The standard length of an internship for this role is eight weeks.
Send your CV to email@example.com with a covering letter explaining why you are interested in working with us. Please make sure that you tell us when you'll be available to work.
We have no application deadline, we just fill the spaces on a first come, first served basis. So if you are considering us remember, the earlier you apply, the better your chances.
Tips to Tailor Your Application
Want to score an interview with us? Here's how to do it:
- Research, research, research! We like people who have taken a bit of time to get to know us. We also keep open several rolling positions in our vacancies. Use the listings, as well as this website, to write a stellar CV.
- Tailor your CV to the internship you want. If you want to be a Developer put in all the languages you are studying as well as highlight any personal or academic projects you've worked on that relate.
- Write with confidence. Write with clarity. Focus on your strengths. Most importantly, check for grammar and spelling errors. Have someone review your CV. If you have a Careers Services department, make an appointment to ensure your submission shines.