SpiderMonkey® fact sheet/FAQ
- What is SpiderMonkey®?
- What are the key aspects of SpiderMonkey?
- How many versions of SpiderMonkey are there?
- How do the product versions differ?
- Can I request an evaluation copy?
- How do I contact technical support?
What is SpiderMonkey?
SpiderMonkey is CoreFiling’s integrated taxonomy development tool, designed to help you build, extend or edit a taxonomy.
What are the key aspects of SpiderMonkey?
- NEW Instance document creation – Users may now create and edit test instances against an open taxonomy. It means that users can generate XBRL instance documents based on a chosen taxonomy, and review the progress of their work to see how it will appear in reality. The new facility allows the generation of full or partial instances containing values for each valid data point in a taxonomy; selection of the currency to be used for monetary facts generated; the ability to edit existing fact values within an instance; validation of fact values entered against the taxonomy, preventing the entry of schema-invalid values; support for special XBRL values such as Nil.
- Multi-user conflict resolution – Development of a large, complex taxonomy requires contributions from multiple users, which can potentially cause conflicts as changes are saved. Our continuous integration framework, Decimate®, allows SpiderMonkey Enterprise to resolve all conflicts seamlessly, as well as enabling automated tests to be performed as each new version of the taxonomy is developed.
- Enterprise strength – SpiderMonkey Enterprise has been proven capable of handling the very largest of enterprise taxonomy development projects, for example the creation of US-GAAP, which required over forty analysts to be working simultaneously.
- Fully conformant taxonomies – With SpiderMonkey based on True North, widely recognised as the “gold standard” for XBRL processing and validation, your taxonomies will be fully conformant to the XBRL 2.1 specification.
- Solid foundations – Built on the Eclipse open source development platform originally developed by IBM, SpiderMonkey provides a stable and powerful XBRL taxonomy development environment. The Eclipse framework’s comprehensive plug-in support also allows SpiderMonkey to be extended or customised for specific applications. The commercial rich client platform page of the Eclipse website provides details of applications developed using this framework.
- Calculation checking – You can have confidence in your report calculations, knowing that SpiderMonkey will automatically highlight any errors or discrepancies.
- Reporting by segment – Dimensional taxonomy extensions allow you to report by segment, which is not only a requirement of certain regulatory authorities, but also a useful way for analysts and investors to monitor your organisation.
- Business user friendly – With a tool designed to be used by accountants rather than IT specialists, the creation of detailed taxonomy concept definitions is a straightforward operation, allowing you to focus on the content rather than on the technology.
How many versions of SpiderMonkey are there?
There are two versions of SpiderMonkey:
- SpiderMonkey Enterprise has true multi-user editing capability and is suited to large-scale taxonomy development efforts. SpiderMonkey Enterprise is currently being used in some of the world’s leading taxonomy projects.
- SpiderMonkey Professional is ideally suited to filers who need to create corporate extensions to an existing taxonomy, for example those allowed by the SEC to complement the US-GAAP taxonomy.
How do the product versions differ?
|SM Enterprise||SM Professional|
|Fully XBRL v2.1 conformant|
|Unique “tree locations” view|
|Fast, powerful search on labels, references and concept names|
|Intuitive, consistent user interface|
|Dimensional views for concepts and taxonomies|
|Full support for creating and editing XBRL dimensions|
|Dual-head workstation support|
|Extension taxonomy creation|
|Creation and editing of data types, roles and relationship types|
|Financial Reporting Taxonomies Architecture (FRTA) validation|
|Telephone and email support|
|Revision controlled repository|
|Concurrent, multi-user taxonomy editing|
Can I request an evaluation copy?
Please email us for further information about SpiderMonkey or to request an evaluation copy.
How do I contact technical support?
Technical support is available to all customers who have purchased SpiderMonkey Professional or SpiderMonkey Enterprise. If you are a customer in need of support, please email our support team, providing full details of your issue.